- 15 ml (1 tbsp) olive oil
- 1 grey shallot, finely chopped
- 1 L (4 cups) fresh spinach
- 5 ml (1 tsp) white balsamic vinegar
- 4 large fresh eggs
- 250 ml (1 cup) 35% cream
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 slices OKA cheese, about ½ cm thick
- 1 green onion, chopped
- Grilled rustic bread, buttered and sliced in strips
In the old days, there was no such thing as brunch, and we ate potatoes for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Fortunately, times change, and this recipe for coddled eggs with spinach and OKA cheese is proof of that. Both delicious and easy to prepare, this dish is sure to become a family classic!
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a non-stick skillet over medium heat, heat the oil and sauté the shallot for 2 minutes. Add the spinach and continue cooking for 1 minute. Deglaze with balsamic vinegar, season with salt and pepper, remove from heat and set aside.
- Arrange a quarter of the spinach mixture in an ovenproof ramekin, then gently break one egg over the spinach mixture. Pour 65 ml (¼ cup) of cream over all and cover with a slice of OKA cheese. Repeat with 3 other ramekins.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until the egg whites are cooked and the cheese starts to brown.
- Garnish the ramekins with green onions and ground pepper. Serve with grilled and buttered bread strips.